Dick Harmon Participation Scholarships
The goal of the Southern Texas PGA and the Southern Texas PGA Foundation is to introduce our area's youngsters to the challenges and rewards of golf. Through the support of the Harmon Family Foundation, the Southern Texas PGA Foundation has created the Dick Harmon Participation Scholarship program to help provide top-flight golf opportunities to young men and women regardless of financial resources. The Southern Texas PGA believes the opportunity to participate in our junior golf programs should not be limited only to those who can afford to play a comprehensive junior golf schedule. Therefore, the STPGA Foundation would like to offer financial assistance to those juniors who are limited due to financial constraints.
• All Participation Scholarships are awarded on a rolling basis throughout the calendar year. The STPGA – Dick Harmon Participation Scholarship will be allocated in one amount and established as a credit to the respective participant’s junior golf “account” within the STPGA Junior Golf program. The funds can be used to cover the various expenses in each of the STPGA’s junior golf programs.
• The awarding of a Participation Scholarship does not guarantee entry into specific STPGA junior golf events. Recipients will still be required to follow standard STPGA junior golf program requirements and procedures to be entered in clinics and tournaments.
• The Participation Scholarship can be used only for costs associated with the Southern Texas PGA Junior Golf Program. It is the responsibility of the recipient to keep up with their account total.
• The total number of scholarships will be determined by the total number of qualified candidates and availability of funds. Dick Harmon Participation Scholarships will be awarded to qualified applicants on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Credit card debt will not be considered in the STPGA’s evaluation of a candidate’s financial situation, but costs related to healthcare, tuition and elderly care will be taken into consideration.
To be considered for a Dick Harmon Participation Scholarship from the STPGA Foundation, all candidates must meet the following criteria:
• Candidates must be between the ages of 6-18 as of September 1st, 2012.
• Candidates must establish their need for financial assistance.
• Candidates must complete the Dick Harmon Participation Scholarship application and return it to the Southern Texas PGA Foundation.
All candidates who satisfy the above requirements are eligible to apply for a Dick Harmon Participation Scholarship. The final selection of recipients is decided by the Southern Texas PGA Junior Golf Committee and the Southern Texas PGA Foundation Board of Directors. Each candidate can apply for a Dick Harmon Participation Scholarship at any time during the course of the year. Funds will be awarded to qualified applicants on a first-come, first-served basis.