– The Southern Texas PGA Section announced the 2018 Southern Texas PGA Levy Cup Matches Team on Thursday. Co-Captains David Pilsner (Timber Creek Golf Club) and Ryan Briggs (Whispering Pines Golf Club) will lead the team. This annual Ryder Cup-style event between the Northern Texas PGA and the Southern Texas PGA Assistant and Senior Members will be the second meeting and is set for October 15-16 at Briggs Ranch Golf Club in San Antonio.
The PGA Professionals who played their way onto the team based off points received for their finishes at the Section’s major championships are:
- Carl Cooper (Newport Golf Club)
- Edwin Dickens (Vaaler Creek Golf Club)
- Justin Engel (Royal Oaks Country Club)
- Darek Franklin (Lakecliff Country Club)
- John Gibson (Memorial Park Golf Course)
- Jeff Litwak (Lochinvar Golf Club)
- Joe Mitchell (Shadowhawk Golf Club)
- Christopher Pribyl (Houston Country Club)
- Robert Scott (Royal Oaks Country Club)
- Billy Sitton (Triumph Golf LLC)
- Robert Thompson (Whispering Pines Golf Club)
- Omar Uresti (Life Member)
In the inaugural event in 2017, the STPGA captured the cup with an overall point total of 14 to 10. The Matches were tied following the first day of competition, with the STPGA and NTPGA both earning six points apiece, but the STPGA team secured early key Singles Matches during the final day for victory. It was Troy Schleicher, PGA Teaching Professional at Lake Windcrest Golf Club, whose match clinched the cup. Schleicher bested Robert McMillan, PGA Director of Instruction at McMillan Golf Academy. His 2&1 victory gave the STPGA team the 13th point they needed to claim the first Matches.
ABOUT THE LEVY CUP MATCHES
The Levy Cup Matches are contested much like the Joe Black Cup Matches. The Levy Cup team consists of six Southern Texas PGA Assistant Professionals and six Southern Texas PGA Senior Members (age 50 and over) competing against a Northern Texas PGA team comprised in the same fashion.
Established in 2017, the Levy Cup Matches were created to honor PGA of America President, Paul Levy.